Friday, April 27, 2012

Prototype 2.1

I finished with the controls for the next prototype.  I'll post both prototypes here for user comparison.  The AI input routines are not finised on the new version; however, I will hold off on designing them until I get some feed back.  I just don't see the use in creating them if nobody likes the new controls.

Here's the previous version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43398523/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

These are the controls:
W and space - Accelerates and decelerates the ship
A and D - Rolls the ship
Q and E - Apply side thrusters
S and X - Apply up/down thrusters
Mouse Move - Turns the ship
Left Mouse Button - Fires primary (bullet) weapons
Right Mouse Button - Fires secondary (bullets) weapons
R - Releases countermeasure
V and B - Zooms and unzooms the dradis picture
 
Here's the new version:
 
 
Here are the new controls:

W and  X- Adds or subtracts thrust (1% of maximum thrust)
S - Sets thrust to zero (but retains forward momentum
A and D - Rolls the ship
<Space> - Activates inertial controls which stops the ship and reduces thrust to zero (over time)
Left Mouse Button - Fires primary (bullet) weapons
Right Mouse Button - Fires secondary (bullets) weapons
Mouse Move - Turns the ship
R - Releases countermeasure
V and B - Zooms and unzooms the dradis picture
 
These controls are either disabled or an extra option:
 
`, 1-9 and 0 - sets thrust to 0%, 10% - 90% or 100%
J  and L - Apply side thrusters (disabled on a viper - available on a Raptor)
I  and K - Apply up/down thrusters (disabled on a viper - available on a Raptor)
 
I tried to simplify things with mixed results.  W, S, X and <Space> (with A and D) are primarily things that are going to be used in combat.  The mouse buttons and R activate various weapon systems.  I left the zoom option in the game.  The directional thrusters are listed; however, they are disabled to the player.  I didn't take them out due to the possibility of including Raptor like craft into the game.  I added the ability to go directly to a thrust setting (`, 1-9, 0); however, the W, S and X setup are just as effective. 
 
So, play both prototypes and let me know which one works better.
 
As a side note, I included the Battlestar Minoa, a Hermes Class Destroyer, to the new prototype.  Its a model that I created from scratch.  It's untextured and does not have any script attached to it.  Also, I did not include any gun emplacements.  I'm holding off on that until I hash out my plans on capital ships. 
 
But, I made it myself...  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment